Choosing an education system or a method for your child is something only you can do and Montessori education is one of the major options you have. This educational approach was developed by Maria Montessori an Italian educator and physician and it emphasizes more on freedom, independence and respect for the social, physical and psychological development of the child. This education system is becoming very popular across the globe probably because of the many advantages it has over other educational approaches.
1. The education focuses on the developmental stages of the children falling in the age group of 3 and 5 to hone language skills, motor skills and completion of important daily activities such as arts and crafts, cooking and dressing among others. It is therefore one of the best systems you can choose for your preschooler to instill a degree of independence and confidence in them.
2. It encourages cooperative play so they get a chance to explore the different learning stations within the classroom. It therefore puts them in the best position to work together, respect each other and build on the sense of community which is very important even in later life.
3. Preschoolers who get this educational approach have the advantage of enjoying learning that is child centered. It means that they will be handled depending on their specific abilities and needs so they get to learn and explore at a pace that suits them best. Every child is given an equal chance to develop at their own pace; hence no one is left out at the end of the day.
4. This system helps children learn self-discipline in the most natural way possible. They work alongside each other and follow rules refining different skills, including self-control, motivation and concentration. It is also a system of education that teaches order which is very important in bringing up responsible children.
5. Montessori education also inspires creativity in the children because they work under their own terms where creativity is highly encouraged. They tend to focus more on the process than the end result of the activities they get involved in and this broadens the thinking on how to address the concept in the best ways possible.
6. It offers hands-on learning to the children to make learning fun and easily understandable to them. There are so many activities that are engaged in the learning to that practical life, culture, math and language lessons are learned by the kids. They get to master the most important life skills as well, besides having an easier understanding of harder areas such as subtractions and additions.
Preschools and schools offering a Montessori system have become very popular today because parents have seen the great value offered by the approach that they get. It is a system that can actually be very helpful in developing a number of skills in children from an early age preparing them for other levels of education and sharpening their growing minds to make them better students.